Monday, July 21, 2008

Going, Going, But Not Gone

While doing my spring clean up last year ( if you can call walking around with a cup of coffee and stomping on weeds a clean up) I saw that my pink hydrangea in the front was half dead. Like someone just drew a line down the middle. One half alive, one half dead. Had no idea what happened to it. Thinking it was biting the dust, I pruned the entire thing down to within 4" of the ground, planning on digging it out in a few weeks. But wait..... new green shoots coming out of the entire plant. The plant grew all summer, with no flowers of course, but it's ALIVE. This year....
..
The flowers are now turning blue. I know about alkaline soil for pink and acidic for blue, but I have used the same fertilizer for years. This hydra has always been dark pink. But it's alive and well, perfect size and shape, and lots of flowers, so I'm happy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is this the one at the back corner that was a beautiful almost coral color? I have the right place/ house, don't I:-)

It doesn't surprise me that whatever you do to plants/seeds, it always turns out!!

SisterNan

flydragon said...

You have the right house but the wrong place. The one you're thinking about is the one in the back by the small trellis. This is the one in the front by the impatiens. And believe me it doesn't always turn out good when I do stuff. I just don't tell anyone about all the bad results. I'm no dummy!!!

Anonymous said...

I have one that I transplanted to the front of the house under the family room window. It's really nice and green but has no flowers. I transplanted it last fall so do I have to wait till next summer or should I find a new place for it? Middle sis

flydragon said...

If you cut it back when you moved it you have to wait until next year for flowers. If you didn't cut it back at all, maybe it just needs to get over the shock in order to bloom. If it's nice and green, I'd leave it where it is. It sounds like it's doing fine even without flowers this year. I think I covered all the bases so no matter what happens, I'm off the hook.