Wednesday, December 31, 2008

"In Like A Lion, Out Like A Lamb"

I know that little saying is usually used for the month of March, but I figured it should be good for other times as well. So this time I’m applying it for the whole year of 2008.

January 1, 2008 came in like a lion, with very cold temperatures, strong winds, and 6 inches of snow so of course I’m expecting the year to go out like a lamb. (Yes, I believe all those little sayings, old wives tales, and even a few little ditties I made up myself)

But something seems to be very wrong this time. Roaring winds gusting up to 40 mph, weather advisory till late this afternoon scrolling across the bottom of the weather channel, 4-6 inches of snow expected, and the high temp. only expected to reach 21 deg. I don’t even want to think of the wind chill factor!

So what the heck happened? Where’s the mild temperatures, the sun, the peaceful end to the old year? I’ll tell you what happened!! Sometime during the year, the lion ate that cute little, tasty lamb. Gobbled him right up when he wandered a little too close. Stupid little lamb. Smart, smug, satisfied, stuffed old lion.

And so ends 2008. In like a lion, out like a lion.

Maybe we should change that original saying just a little bit. How about “in like a lion, out like a goat”. This little fellow is just as cute as a little lamb, and better yet, he looks like he might have a better chance of escaping a chance encounter with “the big hairy one”. And the weather would then do what it's supposed to!!

17 comments:

Dog_geek said...

Hmmm... in like a lion, out like a lamb in a lion? I dunno about the whole goat thing - they can be stubborn and belligerant. And sometimes a bit smelly, especially if they are billygoats. I guess I don't care how 2008 goes out, as long as it does.

Anonymous said...

You tickle me so! So sorry you have such miserable weather for year end. Sounds like a good evening to snuggle under a fleece blanket with a mug of hot chocolate and a good book. I wish you lots of happiness in the new year - you sure have put lots of smiles on my face these past few months since I "met" you.

Susie said...

I don't know flydragon I think a quick lion could catch a goat just as quickly! Happy New Year to you my quick-witted friend!

flydragon said...

DG,
lololol "out like a lamb in a lion". I didn't know billygoats were stinky. I guess I never got close enough to one to notice. Evidently you have.

Mildred,
I don't think I'm going to wait till evening to snuggle under. It sounds pretty good to me right now. Really glad I met you too. I've learned quite a few new and interesting things since I've started reading your blog. Thanks for that.

Susie,
I was going to suggest "lion/elephant" but decided one would be just the same as the other. And the little goat was just so cute:)

Unknown said...

You are funny!

Nunya said...

but looks aren't everything.

Rudee said...

Happy New Year. Keep yourself warm and toasty. Lamb is pretty tasty. Perhaps the lion couldn't resist. For my afternoon entertainment, I plan on watching the Chicago/Detroit hockey game being played on an outdoor rink at Wrigley field. Wish I were in Chicago-wind and all-for that event.

Anonymous said...

You really have blossomed this year, my 'little' sister. (Can't believe I said that!) It's so great! Hope 2009 brings you all good things, whether it comes in as a lion, lamb or goat!

SisterNan

Far Side of Fifty said...

Poor lamb, lost it's way to your house. I rather like goats..but they are not a match for a Lion either. Where is all the global warming when you need it? Happy New Year my friend. you always make me smile..Thank you! :)

flydragon said...

Hi Darla,
Glad if I gave you a chuckle.

NVAM,
Pfffft to you too.

Rudee,
Happy New Year to you too. It's been years since I've had lamb, but i'm not surprised the lion couldn't help himself. Or rather, I'm not surprised he did help himself:)
I read about the hockey game being played outside. Unlike you, I'd rather watch from my couch.

Nan,
Hmmm,I'm not quite sure what you think I've blossomed into, but I'll assume it's a good thing.
Hope 2009 brings all good things your way, too, you old goat....er..I mean Nan.

Farside,
I think global warming is only happening at the north pole. It certainly isn't down here in my neck of the woods.
Happy New Year to you too, Connie.

Anonymous said...

Poor, tasty lamb. Here it was in like a icy lion, out like a lamb. Go figure. I know we still have time for plenty of ice. Yuck. I enjoyed your blog. Found you through Mr. McGregor's Daughter.~~Dee

flydragon said...

Hi Dee,
Thanks for stopping by. I'm sure there will be more ice/snow/cold/yuckky weather for a whole lot of us over the next few months.
Isn't MMD's blog great? She's so knowledgeable about plants, it puts me totally to shame. I've checked your blog out before, too, and you're no slouch when it comes to plants/gardens either.

Anonymous said...

I agree with DG. as long as it's out - lamb, lion or goat. It's been a very strange and frightening year, not only weather wise, but in almost every aspect. On the bright side, the days are getting longer and (yipee!) the garden catalogs are rolling in. Now, I hope your "in like a lion and out like a lamb/goat" :) theory applies in March so we can go out and play.

Lovethiscottage.blogspot.com said...

The only way to survive this unrelenting cold and snowstorms is to comfort yourself with lots of chocolate. Btw, I would have eaten those truffles even faster than you did. A friend of ours in the village makes them. Boy does he get a lot of visitors!

flydragon said...

Di,
Getting through Jan. & Feb. is the hardest for me. But new catalogs are coming in almost every day now, so that helps. C'mon March!!!

kathi,
You would have to remind me of the chocolate, now that I don't have any left. Glad to hear I'm not the only little piggie when it comes to eating them:)

oldcrow61 said...

You crack me up, you're so funny.

flydragon said...

Oldcrow,
Glad I could add to your amusment up there.