Monday, January 26, 2009

Sisterhood At Its Finest

At the beginning of the month, I mentioned that my two sisters both had birthdays during January and posted a picture of the two of them together. Betty’s was on the 2nd. and although I didn’t show a picture of her by herself, she won’t mind that I am now going to single out Nan. In fact I’m quite sure she’s very happy about that, but hey Betty, if you like, I can always find another picture of you by yourself that I’ll be glad to post on here. Let me know.

I wasn’t around when this picture of Nan was taken, because of course I hadn’t been born yet, or as my mother used to say, “I was picking daisies”. How she came up with that expression when I would ask why I wasn’t in any of these pictures is beyond me. I remember getting a little teary eyed when she told me that though, because I didn’t want to be out picking any daisies, I wanted to be in the pictures too. Now of course I just snicker about that.

But anyhow, without further ado, here she is. And except for the fact that she is now much taller, a little?? older, a lot?? wiser, has gray hair instead of brown, keeps both feet firmly on the ground instead of on benches, (not sure about that one because I saw a picture of her dancing around in red shoes not too long ago), she looks exactly the same as she did those many years ago. Uh huh.

And isn’t she just the cutest little thing?


Hope you have a Happy Birthday tomorrow, Nan.
Hope you enjoy your birthday cake.
Hope you don’t plan on lighting all those candles on that cake.
Hope your smoke alarm has a new battery.
Hope all the firemen are as good looking as they are in their calendars.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't think they had cameras way back then. Uh oh, did I say that out loud? Happy Birthday Aunt Nancy!

Fla Brat

Betty said...

What a hoot! I'm sure Nan is every bit as cute now as she was then...darling picture! And happy belated to Betty, as well.

My word verification is 'phesse'...is that like, "I will phesse up to all my phaults"...yeah, right!

Roses and Lilacs said...

Happy Birthday Nan. Be sure to share some of that cake with the good looking firemen;)
Marnie

troutbirder said...

I liked the snow angel but your sisters sound nice too. On the other hand my brothers......

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to Nan - I don't guess there is any chance that you bought her chocolates for her birthday???

T said...

Happy Birthday Nan, and what a darling picture.

Rudee said...

There is something special about a sister.

Susie said...

Happy birthday to both of your sissies! And yes, that is a cute pic!

flydragon said...

Fla brat,
I'll just let Nan comment on that comment.

Betty,
Yeah, sure she is.
And I expect to see a post from you about phessing up to all your phaults:)

Marnie,
Oh I'm quite sure she will. She's not one to let an opportunity like that pass by.

troutbirder,
My sisters are no where near as nice as that angel is. Now my one brother was not only the youngest but was completely out numbered. Ha. We controlled him for a while at least.

Mildred,
I thought about buying her some. Doesn't that count?

T,
Hey, she's not the only one that takes a cute picture!

Rudee,
There is? What?

Susie,
Okay, so she was cute. That's not the important part. She's older!!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Happy Birthday Nan! You are so cute! I love your fat little knees!If I see the entire southern sky light up tonight I will know it is just your candles! :)

Anonymous said...

I think that picture of Nan looks just like her now except maybe about ?? years later. Hope she has a good one. It's kind of nice to have an older sis. It's even nicer for you to have two older sisters, but don't forget your also an older sister. Middle sis

Anonymous said...

I always wished I had a sister. You have two, how very lucky you are. The picture is adorable, what great memories you girls must have.

spookydragonfly said...

Happy Birthday, Nan!! I hope it's all that you wish for! You were adorable...probably still are! Very nice tribute to your sisters, Flydragon. Happy Belated Birthday wishes to Betty, too! Loved your..Picking Daises story! I wish I had a sister!

Dog_geek said...

Happy Birthday, Nan!! Cute picture!

Rose said...

What a cutie--happy birthday to Nan! And I hope you get your car dug out so you can go celebrate her birthday with her, Flydragon:)

beckie said...

A very Happy Birthday to your sisters. How kind of you to wish them well on your blog. Being much older than you, I'm wondering if they picked on you when you were small? Glad to see you don't hold a grudge. :}

flydragon said...

farside,
I think she still has those fat little knees. I'm sure a lot of people will be running out of their houses wondering what the heck that glow is:)

Sister B,
I'm pretty sure Bill didn't like having older sisters (don't know why) while I on the other hand love it, not then, but now.

Di,
Mostly memories of fighting back and forth until we got older:) But they're nice to have now. Sometimes.


Spooky,
You want mine? They're free!!


DG,
Oh c'mon, she's not all that cute.


Rose,
Nope, car's still stuck there. Wouldn't help anyhow since she lives in W.V.

Beckie,
Yes, they did!! They picked on me all the time.!! And could you tell that I might just carry a little, teeny grudge:)
It's funny though, I thought I was very obvious, but most of the comments seem to think I was being my usual "sweet" self.

Anonymous said...

Just can't believe all these nice birthday wishes, 'how cute,' etc.

Since I'm such a 'sweetie' I'll not comment on the digs about age, being the oldest, and cameras back then, etc.--just you all wait, your day is coming, sooner than you think!!!!

THANKS, PAT:-)
and everyone else
SisterNan

Anonymous said...

What a great post, that only a wonderful sister could write. I hope Nan had a very Happy Birthday!
XXXX

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your kind thoughts and comments - I'll keep visiting with you and I hope to be back blogging soon and give you an update. You always make me smile - keep it up! and Harriet says "hugs & kisses Flydragon!"